Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sustainable Seafood

Fish for dinner....yum!

Perhaps I am just following the massive marketing/health push in the last few years to get people to consume less red meat and more fish/seafood products. That said though I'm not sure that the world's oceans can handle the world's demand on its resources. There are some useful resources to assist you make the right decisions in regards to your seafood product choices to make sure they are sustainable.

The one that I usually have at least in my car, if not in my wallet when I am purchasing seafood is the Australian Marine Conservation Society's Sustainable Seafood Guide. This can be downloaded from their website: http://www.marineconservation.org.au/WhatWeDo.asp?active_page_id=238

I have been a member of AMCS for a number of years now and I think I got this seafood guide when I first joined and since then I recommend it to people that are interested in this stuff, just because it is easy to understand and easy to carry around (fits in your wallet) and refer to when you're actually making the decisions about which fish to buy for dinner.

I think I might have to look further into this stuff, but thought this might be of interest to some people. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment