Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Carbon tax, how much will it cost you?

A friend of mine and I were discussing the impacts of the carbon tax on individuals in Australia. In her research she had come across an estimator which calculates what the carbon tax will cost your family each year and what compensation the government will provide to you. This estimator is available on the Cleaner Energy Future website.

The website asks you a number of questions and bases its calculations on some typical scenarios, which the site explains, then providing you with an estimate of the cost to your family on an annual basis after the application of the carbon tax. After filling in the questionnaire I discovered my family will be approximately $700 worse off before compensation and after governmental compensation I will be out of pocket about $350 each year.

To me this isn't the end of the world and I personally believe this financial burden in the short-term will in the long-term be reduced with investment into alternative technologies, etc likely to reduce costs to me over time and if I am also not buying products from the companies that are being taxed I will also reduce the likelihood of my financial burden in this market driven disincentive.

Why don't you try this and see what the impact will be on your family? Let me know how you go and see what we can do together to reduce the impacts of this much-needed measure on our families. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment